- Winner, TurnAround Award, ClearMark Awards with J.P. Morgan Chase from the Center for Plain Language
- Winner, Jay R. Gould Award from the Society of Technical Communication
- Winner, Best Material Created for a Client from The Association of Professional
- Communications’ Consultant (APCC) for a Plain Language Style Guide for TIAA-CREF
- Immediate-Past President, Plain Language International Network (PLAIN), Canada
- Board Member, Center for Plain Language, Washington, D.C.
- Research Associate, Communications Research Institute; Sydney, Australia
- Professor Emerita in English (Technical Communication), UNC Charlotte
Deborah is a recognized, international expert in the use of plain language, particularly in the financial sector. A long-time believer that good writing is good business, she has spent the past 20 years helping Fortune 100/500 corporations create written information that is easy for people to understand and use. She applies proven writing and design strategies, training tools, and research results to help companies achieve a number of critical communications goals — with a focus on increasing customer satisfaction and meeting regulatory requirements.
Deborah believes that only by communicating with clarity, conciseness, and credibility can leaders understand the power of “leading by simplicity.” She has given more than 100 presentations to business, government, and non-profit organizations across North American and Europe. She is the author of three books (Allyn & Bacon) and more than two-dozen articles on issues related to clear communication.
A regular media contributor, Deborah has been interviewed by or written for Time Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, Investment News, the Wall Street Journal, and Investment Advisor, as well as many other publications and social media outlets.
I believe that people have a right to understand information that affects their lives. Whether buying insurance, making an investment, or interacting with our government, clear communication is vital to our lives and our sense of well being.
Love traveling, seeing art, and experiencing the new and the interesting.